Join the SC Competes Team!
Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities with the South Carolina Council on Competitiveness. You can connect with us on social media and stay tuned to this page for updates and future opportunities.
See below for our current positions. To apply, please email cover letter, resume, and any applicable information to Susie Shannon | President & CEO: email@example.com
SPOT Robotics Handler
We’re looking for an organized team player to join our non-profit as our part-time Education Outreach Coordinator. Working under the direction, initially, of our Director of Technology & Cybersecurity Initiatives, you will be helping us to coordinate utilization of our Boston Dynamics “Spot” robotic dog, which we are using to get kids and young people and adults excited about careers involving technology, robotics, and automation.
Who Are We?
We manage competitive industry clusters like Aerospace, Logistics, and Technology/ Cybersecurity. We research and publicize the growth of our state and design ways to get the message of South Carolina’s business community and major industries out of the Southeast and into the world beyond our borders. Moreover, we collaborate with business leaders, educators, students, parents, and policy makers to transform our schools so that our student graduates are prepared for careers, college, and citizenship. The SC Competes Team works directly with schools; public agencies; cutting-edge aerospace technology manufacturers; major corporations within supply chains; technology/cybersecurity firms; and transportation, distribution, and logistics companies. The South Carolina Council on Competitiveness was formed in 2004 by a broad-range of stakeholders from the public, private, academic, and nonprofit sectors to help our citizens, our businesses, and our state become more competitive on the global stage. Our work supports economic development efforts across the state through economic research, support for industry clusters, and education and workforce development initiatives. One day…we are digging into technology/cybersecurity economic impact numbers touted by our policy leaders and companies; the next, spending time with K-12 students to get them excited about tech/cyber careers!
What Would I Do Every Day?
We’re looking for an organized team player to join our non-profit as our part-time Education Outreach Coordinator. Working under the direction, initially, of our Director of Technology & Cybersecurity Initiatives, you will be helping us to coordinate utilization of our Boston Dynamics “Spot” robotic dog, which we are using to get kids and young people – and even adults! – excited about careers involving technology, robotics, and automation. “Spot” (which will be renamed by our school kids later in the year) will be launched into schools starting in the 2023/24 school year. A marketing campaign will launch at the start of August 2023 to notify schools across the state that Spot can be brought on-site for a demonstration and conversation around careers in technology, with a heavy focus on Workforce of the Future, to include AI, automation, smart technologies, and beyond. There will be teacher resources for supplemental learning after the visit. Not only will you be hanging out with Spot, we would also need for you to help to manage the specific requests and application process for use of Spot, scheduling visits, oversee the logistics and planning related to use of Spot at the location, transporting and handling Spot, assisting with ongoing software maintenance and updates. Moreover, this position has the potential to expand into a full-time role and to add on additional exciting in-school activities such as our supply chain games.
What Attributes Are We Looking For?
- Flexible in working hours and ability to travel around South Carolina (mileage would be reimbursed at the prevailing rate set by the IRS)
- Understand and be able to work within educational settings
- Be knowledgeable about technology careers
- Have technical proficiency in operating machinery
- Familiarity with coding or software programming a PLUS
- Experience within logistics/supply chain operations a PLUS
- Be able to lift 100 pounds – Spot is a heavy, complex machine and, due to the weight, OSHA requires two people when moving and transporting Spot.
What Is Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- With an eye on the future, and many initiatives underway, SC Competes is an exciting place for professionals who enjoy a culture of teamwork and respect.
- This role will leverage all of your skills and allow you an opportunity to learn new ones.
- We work as a TEAM but within a small, entrepreneurial environment that is mission-oriented and results-driven.
- You get to serve as a positive influence on the career pathways of our young people.
- You get to “play” with a robot, enough said!
See below for our current RFP opportunity. If you have any concerns, questions, and/or roadblocks, please contact Adrianne Beasley: firstname.lastname@example.org and Alex Albrecht: email@example.com.
ArcGIS Asset Map Project
SC Competes is searching for a partner and provider to assist in building a web-based, cataloged map of key data using the ArcGIS Online program. This project will require the ‘builder’ to use a previously-cataloged database of industry partners, companies, educational programs, assets, and data to build an interactive ArcGIS map for the website visitors to view and download pertinent information.
The South Carolina Council on Competitiveness (SC Competes) is a nonprofit organization recognized by the IRS as a Section 501(c)(3) public charity and whose mission is to drive South Carolina’s long-term economic growth by managing select key industry clusters and providing the research, network, and resources that industry clusters require to thrive. SC Competes’ signature industry clusters and programs include SC Aerospace, SC Logistics, SC Tech & CyberSecureSC, SC Fraunhofer USA Alliance, Palmetto AI Corridor, and TransformSC. Since our inception in 2004, we have remained focused on Actionable Research, Industry Clusters, and Education & Workforce Development.
SC Competes is searching for a partner and provider to assist in building a web-based, cataloged map of key data using the ArcGIS Online program. This project will require the ‘builder’ to use a previously-cataloged database of industry partners, companies, educational programs, assets, and data to build an interactive ArcGIS map for website visitors to view and download pertinent information.
Scope of Work
The winning bidder will have access to SC Competes ArcGIS Online account and database of applicable asset content (e.g. list of companies) that will be shared via Google Drive or similar platform to ensure up-to-date content. Note that use of the firm database may be subject to licensing restrictions pursuant to an agreement between SC Competes and Dun & Bradstreet.
The ideal user experience of the map would include:
- Integration into sccompetes.org website (new site coming April 2023);
- A single, user-friendly interactive map with filterable layers for Logistics, Technology, and Aerospace companies and educational institutions in the state;
- Company profiles, including firm name, geographic-related information, employee information, and sub-industry category;
- Ability to highlight SC Competes partner organizations with custom icons or company logos displayed on the map;
- Downloadable selections based on user wants – entire lists, selected companies, or filtered by company/employee metrics, geographic or sub-industry; and
- User manual for SC Competes employees to access and edit the map.
Winning bid will be given access to the following items in order to complete project:
- Access to SC Competes Esri ArcGIS Online license account and ArcGIS Online data;
- Company lists including company name, location, industry, sub-industry; and
- List of education and workforce programs lists with location information.
Important Dates & Deadlines
- March 30, 2023: RFP made available to companies
- April 15, 2023: All responses due by 5:00 p.m. EST
- April 30, 2023: All bidders notified of status, including winning bidder
- May 1 thru June 30, 2023: Handoff meetings and any necessary discussions
- July 1, 2023: Goal launch date for mapping project
What to Include in Your Bid
Please include all relevant company experience with Esri ArcGIS Online and links to appropriate examples. Please also include 2-3 relevant references from past or current clients.
Please include both recurring and one-time costs, and any relevant widgets or web connections needed, along with their respective costs.
Please include a description of how your team works with clients and mapping projects, and any requirements from SC Competes regarding communication, availability, and approximate timeline of project.
If you have any Concerns, Questions, and/or Roadblocks, please contact Adrianne Beasley (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Alex Albrecht (email@example.com).